Dwarf / Turf Perennial Ryegrass
Dwarf ryegrass is a specifically bred strain of perennial ryegrass, selected for its shorter growth habit and its ability to produce low growing tillers and subsequently a thicker sward than standard ryegrass species.
Usually used in amenity situations for lawn and landscaping mixtures.
A perennial species
With adequate moisture dwarf ryegrass is quick to germinate and establish. It will compete well with weeds and will tolerate low cutting to produce a dense turf.
Good frost tolerance
Sowing Rate Advice
Amenity rate - 50g/m2 (Medium) / 70g/m2 (High)
Amenity rates may be significantly higher than agricultural seed rates to ensure a dense turf is created. Grams per metre squared are normally the preferred units for amenity situations. Please seek advice if large areas of amenity seed is required.
Ideal Sowing Time
Sowing when moisture is available will encourage quick establishment.
It can be cut low to create lawns and other recreational areas
The seed is a thin, narrow, oblong shape. It is generally beige in colour, with a papery and smooth texture. The seed is 3mm in length.
Usually a dark green colour. Its appearance it is similar to other Ryegrass species The underside of the leaf is a glossy, smooth green colour. The upper leaf is duller and much less shiny, potentially minutely rough. The ligule can reach up to 2 mm in length, with a membranous shape. It has a traditional Ryegrass spike with spikelet's alternating on each side of the axis. Generally it is a shallow rooted species.
Flowers from May - September
Works well withIt works well in combination with low growing creeping species like slender creeping red fescue and creeping red fescue and is favoured by turf growers.
You can find Dwarf / Turf Perennial Ryegrass in the following mixtures
- Rugby & Football Reseed & Renovate
- Economy Landscape with ryegrass
- Hard Wearing Lawn with ryegrass
- Pathways Mixture
- Grass Tennis Court & Cricket Wicket
- Golf Course Tees Mixture with dwarf ryegrass
- Verge Mixture with ryegrass
- Quality Finish Arena
- Track and Arena Regeneration
- Polo Pitch Mixture
- Racecourse, Gallop and Cross Country Mix
- Gallop Mixture 70% ORGANIC - needs derogation before purchas
- Paddock/Gateway Repair Mix
- Paddock/Gateway Repair Mix 70% ORGANIC
- Competition Grazing Mixture
- Competition Grazing MIxture 70% ORGANIC - derogation needed
- Chicken Scratcher Sward
- Rabbit Run Mixture